Mervyn Patterson

Name: Mervyn Patterson.
Died: March 20, 2014.
Age at death: 57.
Cause of death: Negligence (Given an orange despite limited swallowing ability; choked).
Location: Castlewellan, Northern Ireland, UK.

Details:
Mervyn lived in a nursing home. He had trouble swallowing, so his care plan included the stipulation that he must have all his food mashed, and must be supervised at meal times.

However, one of the staff at the nursing home prepared dinner for Mervyn and included a slice of orange with the peel on it, then left Mervyn alone. He choked on the orange and died.

The company who owned the nursing home pleaded guilty to failing to ensure the health and safety of a non-employee, and was fined £75,000.

References:
Care home fined £75,000 after resident choked to death
Workers ‘devastated’ after care home resident chokes to death

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s