Name: Anthony Dawson.
Died: May 16, 2015.
Age at death: 64.
Cause of death: Untreated gastric ulcer.
Location: Epsom, Surrey, England, UK.
Anthony Dawson was a long-term resident of a care home. His family was worried about him, because they knew he was being neglected, and was trying to get him into another placement.
Anthony had pica–an urge to eat non-food items–and would eat cigarette butts if he saw them. Although the facility itself was non-smoking, staff refused to clean up Anthony’s environment, and he ended up getting cigarette butts anyway. Since these are poisonous to eat, his family’s worries were justified, but staff seems to have done nothing to prevent him from eating them.
In the end, Anthony died from a gastric ulcer that went untreated so long that it perforated his stomach.
Care home neglect led to resident’s death
Brother’s care home death ‘preventable’
Care home neglect led to death of autistic man ‘shut away from the world’
He wanted to live: Sister tells of anger over poor NHS care that ‘robbed life’ of brother who had learning difficulties