Ran Weiss

Weiss, RanName: Ran Weiss
Died: January 8, 2016
Age at death: 31
Cause of death: Water poisoning; negligence
Location: Even Yehuda, Israel

Ran lived in a hostel for autistic people. He was supposed to be closely supervised because he had the tendency to drink large quantities of water, which can be dangerous.

But staff left him alone, and Ran drank seven liters of water in only two hours. When they finally checked on him, he was lying on the floor, vomiting and unable to stand, but the director did not call an ambulance. Instead, the director called Ran’s father, and it was his father who realized what must have happened and demanded that his son be taken to a hospital. But it was too late, and Ran died.

His grieving parents agreed to donate his organs, saving the lives of five people.

Autistic Man Dies and Saves 5 Israeli Lives with Organs
Israel Police Investigating Negligence After Autistic Man Dies of Water Poisoning
Neglect, Untrained Counselors and Zero Supervision: What Happens in Israel’s Homes for the Autistic

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s