Name: Shay Martyn Turner.
Died: April 3, 2018.
Age at death: 5.
Cause of death: Medical malpractice (Misdiagnosed with diabetes, given an insulin overdose).
Location: Rotherham, England, UK.
Shay had a nine-year-old brother, Finnley. The boys played together on the Xbox and with Legos.
Shay became very ill, vomiting and unable to keep anything down, so his parents rushed him to the hospital.
Shay had sepsis–a blood infection–but the doctors missed that diagnosis and instead diagnosed him with diabetes. They then proceeded to give him ten times the normal dose of insulin. Shay quickly went into a coma, his brain badly injured from low blood sugar and from the toxins flooding his body from an infected colon, and died four days later.
On autopsy, it was discovered that Shay had possibly had Hirschsprung disease, which could have caused the bowel infection and sepsis. He had never been diabetic. Sepsis, a serious condition, might have claimed his life even if the doctors had done everything right; but the combination of misdiagnosis and medication error had sealed his fate.
Shay was buried in his Star Wars stormtrooper costume, surrounded by his favorite toys and his favorite Peppa Pig book.
Autistic boy died after doctor gave him TEN times correct insulin dose
Boy, 5, died after doctors ‘missed his sepsis and diagnosed him with diabetes’
Justice for Shay Martyn Turner
Boy, 5, died after being given medication overdose by doctor before multiple organ failure