Name: Chloe Renee Hobbs.
Died: June 9, 2018.
Age at death: 11.
Cause of death: Neglect (Left alone with methamphetamine despite pica; died of meth poisoning and bowel obstruction).
Location: Elkhart, Indiana, USA.
Chloe had one sister, who was a year younger than her and also autistic. Chloe had pica, which meant she tended to eat things that weren’t food and needed to be watched so that she wouldn’t eat anything dangerous.
Her mother took her and her sister along with her when she went to stay at a house where her boyfriend was doing some maintenance work while the owner was away. The house was extremely cluttered and dangerous, but the girls were left unattended there. Chloe’s mother had also brought along her methamphetamine stash, which she left where Chloe could get to it.
The inevitable happened; Chloe found the meth, ingested it, and got very sick. She spent the night vomiting, but her mother didn’t call 911 until Chloe stopped breathing the next morning. She could not be revived.
At autopsy, it was found that Chloe, in addition to the methamphetamine poisoning, had a bowel obstruction caused by her having eaten wood, plastic, pennies, and other items while unsupervised.
Michigan woman sentenced for death of child with special needs
Three-year prison sentence handed down in death of child who had meth in her system
Elkhart County prosecutor says girl, 10, ingested meth before death
2 charged after child dies with high levels of meth in her system
Michigan couple charged in autistic girl’s death
Court document: Meth contributed to autistic child’s death
Obituary of Chloe Hobbs | Brown Funeral Home & Cremation Services